By Bert Scalzo
First-class task of overlaying numerous varieties of databases. should you paintings with a knowledge warehouse and can't sincerely outline what a truth, size, or dice is, that is most likely why your warehouse acts like a massive slow-running database (i.e., it used to be by no means designed properly). This publication will express you ways.
Read Online or Download Oracle DBA Guide to Data Warehousing and Star Schemas PDF
Best oracle books
This can be a great e-book, transparent and well-written. it really is uncomplicated sufficient for these with no a lot adventure, but in addition presents adequate element in the event you don't want coddling. .. certainly, well worth the $.
This day DBAs are anticipated to install and deal with huge databases with caliber carrier and little to no downtime. The DBA’s major concentration is on expanding productiveness and casting off idle redundancy through the company. in spite of the fact that, there is not any magic set of top practices or tough and quickly ideas that DBAs have to stick to, and this may make lifestyles tough.
It’s occasionally acknowledged that the real task of an Oracle database administrator should be summed up in a single, crucial ability: so that it will recuperate your database.
There’s a lot knowledge in that assertion. Of all the pieces you're accountable for as a database administrator, not anything is extra vital than the information itself. love it or no longer, the fearsome accountability of defending your organisations most important info falls squarely upon your shoulders:
- Lose that facts and your organization may well fail.
- Lose that information and also you might be out of a job.
Scared? you need to be. yet theres aid. you're not on my own. Oracle specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda have come jointly during this ebook to teach you the ability of restoration supervisor, or RMAN, that is Oracles backup and restoration instrument of selection. RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g is helping you are taking good thing about all that RMAN has to supply by means of offering easy-to-understand options to business-critical backup and restoration operations. this useful guide
- Demystifies the stairs required to guard your corporation data
- presents ready-made and step by step options to basic and intricate backup, repair, and restoration operations
- Is task-oriented, making it effortless so that you can uncover the answer to urgent backup and restoration problems
- Respects a while by way of offering example-based options, no longer never-ending studying material
When the pressure’s on, you dont have time for lengthy discussions of idea. This ebook will get correct to the purpose with quickly and easy-to-read, step by step recommendations that could assist you backup and recuperate your information with confidence.
What you’ll learn
Oracle Database specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda express you ways to
- Reliably again up and get well your database utilizing Oracles restoration Manager.
- make the most of New Oracle Database 11g beneficial properties similar to the knowledge restoration Advisor.
- allow Oracle Database deal with your backup documents through the Flash restoration Area.
- Automate backup and restoration projects by way of writing scripts.
- Troubleshoot RMAN difficulties and optimize RMAN performance.
- Interface with a Media administration Layer to control your backup tape library.
- get over the lack of a keep watch over dossier, lack of an internet redo log, and different (hopefully! ) strange situations.
Who is that this ebook for?
Oracle database directors liable for database backup and restoration operations.
Maximize Oracle Exadata services Leverage all the strong positive factors to be had within the Oracle Exadata Database desktop utilizing the confirmed options inside of this Oracle Press consultant. Written by way of Oracle specialists, reaching severe functionality with Oracle Exadata exhibits you the way to take complete benefit of this entire, optimized package deal of software program, servers, and garage.
- Java Programming with Oracle JDBC
- Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 12c
- Guerrilla Oracle: The Succinct Windows Perspective
- Applying and Extending Oracle Spatial
- Oracle Developer Forms Techniques
- Distributed Software Administration - DCE Interoperability, 0th Edition
Extra resources for Oracle DBA Guide to Data Warehousing and Star Schemas
SMP is essentially a uniprocessor architecture with multiple CPUs, all sharing memory and disk. The advantages of SMP include: Architecture • Proven, reliable technology (has been around for years) • Wide vendor selection (most offer SMP servers) • Easy to set up, manage, and upgrade (single OS) • Excellent performance within scalability range • No special programming methods or tools required Figure 3-2. Typical SMP Hardware Architecture The primary disadvantage is that SMP servers are generally limited to 32 processors.
And they sold the customer on it. So we upgraded to: • 16 400MHz 64-bit CPUs • 8 GB RAM • 4 GB EMC cache (this was the most expensive item) • RAID 0+1 (faster writes at cost of doubling the number of disks) 39 40 All that hardware cost nearly a million dollars, and all we got was a 15-minute improvement! In the long term, our data warehouse was scaling up in terms of concurrent users and queries per day, so the money really was not wasted. We merely ended up ordering some necessary hardware upgrades a few months earlier than necessary or planned.
The cost to replace the wrong hardware selection is generally more than that of the delay to secure additional initial budget. Remember, a data warehouse can be delayed. , a business can go on without a data warehouse), so wait for sufficient funding. Team-Fly Top Team-Fly Oracle&"v1">Table of Contents Chapter 3. Hardware Architecture Four Basic Questions Selecting hardware can be as simple as answering four basic hardware architecture questions: • How many CPUs? • How much memory? • How much disk space?