By David Litchfield, Chris Anley, John Heasman, Bill Grindlay,
Databases are the nerve middle of our economic climate. every bit of your individual info is kept there-medical files, financial institution money owed, employment background, pensions, automobile registrations, even your kid's grades and what groceries you purchase. Database assaults are in all probability crippling-and relentless.
In this crucial follow-up to The Shellcoder's guide, 4 of the world's most sensible defense specialists educate you to wreck into and protect the seven most well liked database servers. you will methods to establish vulnerabilities, how assaults are performed, and the way to prevent the carnage. The undesirable men already be aware of all this. you must understand it too.
* determine and plug the hot holes in Oracle and Microsoft(r) SQL Server
* examine the simplest defenses for IBM's DB2(r), PostgreSQL, Sybase ASE, and MySQL(r) servers
* realize how buffer overflow exploitation, privilege escalation via SQL, kept strategy or set off abuse, and SQL injection permit hacker access
* realize vulnerabilities strange to every database
* discover what the attackers already understand
Read Online or Download The Database Hackers Handbook PDF
Similar oracle books
This can be a wonderful booklet, transparent and well-written. it is easy sufficient for these with out a lot event, but in addition offers adequate aspect if you happen to don't desire coddling. .. certainly, well worth the $.
This day DBAs are anticipated to set up and deal with huge databases with caliber carrier and little to no downtime. The DBA’s major concentration is on expanding productiveness and doing away with idle redundancy through the firm. although, there isn't any magic set of most sensible practices or demanding and speedy ideas that DBAs have to stick to, and this may make existence tough.
It’s occasionally acknowledged that the genuine activity of an Oracle database administrator may be summed up in a single, crucial ability: with the intention to recuperate your database.
There’s a lot knowledge in that assertion. Of every little thing you're accountable for as a database administrator, not anything is extra very important than the knowledge itself. love it or now not, the fearsome accountability of shielding your companies most important facts falls squarely upon your shoulders:
- Lose that information and your organization might fail.
- Lose that info and also you might be out of a job.
Scared? try to be. yet theres support. you're not by myself. Oracle specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda have come jointly during this publication to teach you the ability of restoration supervisor, or RMAN, that's Oracles backup and restoration instrument of selection. RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g is helping you are taking benefit of all that RMAN has to provide through offering easy-to-understand ideas to business-critical backup and restoration operations. this useful guide
- Demystifies the stairs required to guard what you are promoting data
- offers ready-made and step by step recommendations to uncomplicated and complicated backup, fix, and restoration operations
- Is task-oriented, making it effortless that you should uncover the answer to urgent backup and restoration problems
- Respects some time by means of offering example-based options, now not unending interpreting material
When the pressure’s on, you dont have time for lengthy discussions of thought. This ebook will get correct to the purpose with speedy and easy-to-read, step by step suggestions which may assist you backup and get better your facts with confidence.
What you’ll learn
Oracle Database specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda exhibit you ways to
- Reliably again up and get well your database utilizing Oracles restoration Manager.
- make the most of New Oracle Database 11g beneficial properties akin to the information restoration Advisor.
- permit Oracle Database deal with your backup documents through the Flash restoration Area.
- Automate backup and restoration initiatives through writing scripts.
- Troubleshoot RMAN difficulties and optimize RMAN performance.
- Interface with a Media administration Layer to regulate your backup tape library.
- get over the lack of a keep watch over dossier, lack of a web redo log, and different (hopefully! ) strange situations.
Who is that this booklet for?
Oracle database directors answerable for database backup and restoration operations.
Maximize Oracle Exadata functions Leverage the entire strong positive factors on hand within the Oracle Exadata Database laptop utilizing the confirmed thoughts within this Oracle Press advisor. Written through Oracle specialists, attaining severe functionality with Oracle Exadata exhibits you the way to take complete benefit of this entire, optimized package deal of software program, servers, and garage.
- Oracle Database 12c PL/SQL Programming (Database & ERP - OMG)
- Oracle Database 11g New Features, 1st Edition
- Oracle 9i. Database Performance Guide and Reference, Edition: release 9.0.1
- Oracle Application Server 10g: J2EE Deployment and Administration
Additional info for The Database Hackers Handbook
0:01 ora_dbw0_orasidsol oracle 17753 1 0 11:26:16 ? 0:01 ora_lgwr_orasidsol oracle 17755 1 0 11:26:16 ? 0:05 ora_ckpt_orasidsol oracle 17762 1 0 11:30:59 ? 1:34 oracleorasidsol (LOCAL=NO) Each RDBMS process has the name of the database SID appended to it — in this case orasidsol. The following list looks at each process and discusses what each does. ■■ The PMON process. This is the Process Monitor process and its job is to check if any of the other processes fail, and perform housekeeping tasks if one does such as free handles and so on.
The State of Database Security Research Before we can discuss the state of database security research, we should first define what we mean by the term. In general, when we use the phrase “database security research” we tend to mean research into specific, practical flaws in the security of database systems. We do not mean research into individual security incidents or discussions of marketing-led accreditation or certification efforts. We don’t even mean academic research into the underlying abstractions of database security, such as field-, row-, and object-level security, or encryption, or formal protocol security analysis — though the research we are talking about may certainly touch on those subjects.
Dan Farmer and Wietse Venema’s influential 1994 paper “Improving the Security of Your Site by Breaking into It” neatly makes the argument in favor of understanding attack techniques to better defend your network. This book is largely composed of a lot of very specific details about the security features and flaws in a number of databases, but you should notice common threads running through the text. We hope that by the end of the book you will have a much better understanding of how to attack the seven databases we address directly here, but also a deeper understanding of how to attack databases in general.