By Darl Kuhn
Oracle RMAN for Absolute rookies is a steady advent to using Oracle's restoration supervisor software program to make backups of an Oracle database, and to revive all or a part of a database within the occasion that information loss happens. it's always acknowledged database administrator's number 1 task accountability is with the intention to get over info loss. in case you are new to the Oracle platform, or you are new to database management normally, you could rarely get it wrong through making it your first precedence to profit to backup and get better the database that has been entrusted into your palms. This publication is brief and candy at simply 2 hundred pages. concentration lies at the mainstream use instances. restoration supervisor, or RMAN because it is named, is a robust and intricate instrument that may be intimidating initially. writer Darl Kuhn is familiar with the necessity to specialize in the center use situations, development your self assurance within the instrument, and on your skill to get over misplaced database records, or even to recuperate all of your database should still that turn into useful.
Read or Download Oracle RMAN for Absolute Beginners PDF
Best oracle books
This can be a really good ebook, transparent and well-written. it really is easy adequate for these with out a lot event, but additionally presents sufficient element in the event you don't want coddling. .. certainly, definitely worth the $.
This day DBAs are anticipated to installation and deal with huge databases with caliber carrier and little to no downtime. The DBA’s major concentration is on expanding productiveness and getting rid of idle redundancy through the company. despite the fact that, there's no magic set of top practices or demanding and speedy principles that DBAs have to keep on with, and this may make existence tricky.
It’s occasionally acknowledged that the real task of an Oracle database administrator may be summed up in a single, crucial ability: with a view to recuperate your database.
There’s a lot knowledge in that assertion. Of all the pieces you're liable for as a database administrator, not anything is extra vital than the information itself. love it or no longer, the fearsome accountability of defending your companies most important information falls squarely upon your shoulders:
- Lose that information and your organization may fail.
- Lose that facts and also you may be out of a job.
Scared? you have to be. yet theres support. you're not by myself. Oracle specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda have come jointly during this e-book to teach you the facility of restoration supervisor, or RMAN, that's Oracles backup and restoration software of selection. RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g is helping you're taking good thing about all that RMAN has to supply via supplying easy-to-understand options to business-critical backup and restoration operations. this useful guide
- Demystifies the stairs required to guard your enterprise data
- presents ready-made and step by step suggestions to basic and complicated backup, restoration, and restoration operations
- Is task-oriented, making it effortless that you should find the answer to urgent backup and restoration problems
- Respects some time via offering example-based options, now not unending studying material
When the pressure’s on, you dont have time for lengthy discussions of thought. This publication will get correct to the purpose with fast and easy-to-read, step by step strategies that could assist you backup and recuperate your information with confidence.
What you’ll learn
Oracle Database specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda express you ways to
- Reliably again up and recuperate your database utilizing Oracles restoration Manager.
- make the most of New Oracle Database 11g beneficial properties comparable to the knowledge restoration Advisor.
- permit Oracle Database deal with your backup records through the Flash restoration Area.
- Automate backup and restoration initiatives via writing scripts.
- Troubleshoot RMAN difficulties and optimize RMAN performance.
- Interface with a Media administration Layer to control your backup tape library.
- get over the lack of a regulate dossier, lack of an internet redo log, and different (hopefully! ) strange situations.
Who is that this e-book for?
Oracle database directors accountable for database backup and restoration operations.
Maximize Oracle Exadata services Leverage all the strong gains to be had within the Oracle Exadata Database desktop utilizing the confirmed ideas within this Oracle Press advisor. Written by means of Oracle specialists, reaching severe functionality with Oracle Exadata indicates you the way to take complete benefit of this whole, optimized package deal of software program, servers, and garage.
- OCP: Oracle 10g New Features for Administrators Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-040 (Certification Study Guide)
- Oracle Warehouse Builder 11g R2: Getting Started 2011
- OCP Upgrade to Oracle Database 12c Exam Guide (Exam 1Z0-060) (Oracle Press)
- Oracle DBA pocket guide, Edition: 1st ed
- Osborne Delivering Business Intelligence with Microsoft SQL Server 2008
- Oracle Data Guard 11g Handbook (Oracle Press)
Extra resources for Oracle RMAN for Absolute Beginners
Making individual tables read/write can be advantageous when you’re doing maintenance (such as a data migration) and you want to ensure that users don’t update the data. This example modifies a table back to read/write mode: SQL> alter table my_tab read write; Dropping a Tablespace If you have a tablespace that is unused, it’s best to drop it so it doesn’t clutter your database, consume unnecessary resources, and potentially confuse DBAs who aren’t familiar with the database. info Chapter 2 ■ Files in Support of Backup and Recovery Operations You may want to wait to see if anybody screams that an application is broken because it can’t write to a table or index in the tablespace to be dropped.
However, you have to stop and start your database for the LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT parameter to take effect. arc' scope=spfile; If you do so, when you attempt to stop and start your database, you won’t even get to the nomount phase (because the spfile contains an invalid parameter): SQL> startup nomount; ORA-19905: log_archive_format must contain %s, %t and %r In this situation, if you’re using an spfile, you can’t start your instance. ora file from the contents of the spfile. ora The prior command will extract the text out of the binary spfile and display it on your screen.
Info Chapter 2 ■ Files in Support of Backup and Recovery Operations Figure 2-2. Redo protected until the modified (dirty) buffer is written to disk At time 1, Block A is read from Data File AA into the buffer cache and modified. At time 2 the redo-change vector information (how the block changed) is written to the log buffer. At time 3 the log-writer process writes the Block A change-vector information to online redo log 1. At time 4 a log switch occurs, and online redo log 2 becomes the current online redo log.