By Guy Harrison
Oracle functionality Survival Guide
A Systematic method of Database Optimization
The quick, whole, start-to-finish consultant to optimizing Oracle performance
Oracle functionality Survival Guide bargains a dependent, systematic, start-to-finish technique for optimizing Oracle functionality as successfully as attainable. major Oracle professional man Harrison indicates the way to maximize your tuning funding by means of targeting reasons instead of indicators, and via speedy deciding upon the components that bring the best “bang for the buck.”
Writing for DBAs and builders with all degrees of expertise, Harrison covers each quarter of Oracle functionality administration, from program layout via SQL tuning, rivalry administration via reminiscence and actual IO administration. He additionally provides up to date counsel for optimizing the functionality of the Oracle 11g free up 2.
You’ll commence via gaining knowledge of Oracle based functionality tuning ideas and instruments, together with recommendations for tracing and tracking Oracle execution. Harrison illuminates the interplay among purposes and databases, publications you thru settling on tuning instruments, and introduces prematurely layout recommendations that bring about higher-performance functions. He additionally offers a suite of downloadable scripts for reporting on all points of database functionality.
• “Tuning by means of layers,” the simplest, highest-value method of Oracle functionality optimization
• profiting from Oracle’s middle instruments for tracing, tracking, and diagnosing functionality
• hugely effective database logical and actual layout, indexing, transaction layout, and API use
• SQL and PL/SQL tuning, together with using parallel SQL techniques
• Minimizing competition for locks, latches, shared reminiscence, and different database resources
• Optimizing reminiscence and actual disk IO
• Tuning genuine software Cluster (RAC) databases
Read Online or Download Oracle Performance Survival Guide: A Systematic Approach to Database Optimization PDF
Similar oracle books
This can be a fantastic ebook, transparent and well-written. it is uncomplicated adequate for these with no a lot adventure, but additionally presents adequate element in case you don't want coddling. .. certainly, definitely worth the $.
At the present time DBAs are anticipated to set up and deal with huge databases with caliber provider and little to no downtime. The DBA’s major concentration is on expanding productiveness and putting off idle redundancy during the company. besides the fact that, there's no magic set of most sensible practices or not easy and quick ideas that DBAs have to persist with, and this may make lifestyles tough.
It’s occasionally stated that the real activity of an Oracle database administrator should be summed up in a single, crucial ability: on the way to get better your database.
There’s a lot knowledge in that assertion. Of the whole lot you're liable for as a database administrator, not anything is extra vital than the knowledge itself. love it or now not, the fearsome accountability of defending your corporations most important info falls squarely upon your shoulders:
- Lose that info and your organization may possibly fail.
- Lose that info and also you may be out of a job.
Scared? you need to be. yet theres aid. you're not by myself. Oracle specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda have come jointly during this e-book to teach you the facility of restoration supervisor, or RMAN, that's Oracles backup and restoration instrument of selection. RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g is helping you are taking benefit of all that RMAN has to provide by means of delivering easy-to-understand suggestions to business-critical backup and restoration operations. this useful guide
- Demystifies the stairs required to guard your online business data
- presents ready-made and step by step suggestions to easy and complicated backup, fix, and restoration operations
- Is task-oriented, making it effortless that you can find the answer to urgent backup and restoration problems
- Respects it slow via delivering example-based strategies, now not never-ending analyzing material
When the pressure’s on, you dont have time for lengthy discussions of thought. This booklet will get correct to the purpose with quickly and easy-to-read, step by step options which may assist you backup and get better your information with confidence.
What you’ll learn
Oracle Database specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda convey you ways to
- Reliably again up and get better your database utilizing Oracles restoration Manager.
- make the most of New Oracle Database 11g positive aspects similar to the information restoration Advisor.
- enable Oracle Database deal with your backup records through the Flash restoration Area.
- Automate backup and restoration projects by means of writing scripts.
- Troubleshoot RMAN difficulties and optimize RMAN performance.
- Interface with a Media administration Layer to regulate your backup tape library.
- get over the lack of a keep an eye on dossier, lack of an internet redo log, and different (hopefully! ) strange situations.
Who is that this publication for?
Oracle database directors accountable for database backup and restoration operations.
Maximize Oracle Exadata features Leverage all the robust positive aspects on hand within the Oracle Exadata Database computer utilizing the confirmed innovations within this Oracle Press advisor. Written by way of Oracle specialists, reaching severe functionality with Oracle Exadata indicates you ways to take complete benefit of this entire, optimized package deal of software program, servers, and garage.
- The Pocket Oracle and Art of Prudence
- Beginning PHP and Oracle: From Novice to Professional , 1st Edition
- Oracle Apex Cookbook (2nd Edition)
- OCP: Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-063
Additional info for Oracle Performance Survival Guide: A Systematic Approach to Database Optimization
Java Pool—This cache contains Java stored procedures and other stored Java programs. Redo buffers and smaller redo strands—Cache redo log entries that have not yet been written to the redo logs on disk. DATA CACHING Oracle provides multiple levels of data caching. Traditionally (prior to 11g), data was cached only in the buffer cache. However, in 11g a SQL statement might find the data it needs in any of three memory locations: ❏ ❏ ❏ A client-side result set cache maintained by the Oracle 11g client libraries.
No Execute again? Re-execute the SQL statement (perhaps with new bind variables). No Close Cursor Deallocate memory and discard cursor. FIGURE 2-1 SQL Statement processing overview. CREATING THE CURSOR A cursor—or context area—is an area in memory in which Oracle stores your SQL statement and associated information. This includes the parsed and unparsed representation of your SQL statement, the execution plan, and a pointer to the current row. 16 Chapter 2 When SQL statement execution is complete, the memory associated with the cursor can be freed for other purposes or can be saved for re-execution.
Using hints you can specify join orders, type of access paths, indexes to be used, the optimization goal, and other instructions. An optimizer hint appears as a comment following the first word of the SQL statement, such as SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, MERGE, or DELETE. A hint is differentiated from other comments by the presence of the plus sign (+) following the opening comment delimiter (/*). For example, the FULL hint in the following SQL instructs the optimizer to resolve this statement via a full table scan, even if the optimizer calculates that an index lookup would be more optimal.