By Bob Bryla
The crucial source for Oracle DBAs--Fully up to date and Expanded
Manage a versatile, hugely to be had Oracle database with aid from the professional info contained during this specific Oracle Press advisor. absolutely revised to hide each new function and application, Oracle Database 11g DBA Handbook indicates the best way to practice a brand new install, improve from prior models, configure and software program for max potency, and hire bulletproof defense. you'll learn how to automate the backup and restoration method, supply obvious failover strength, audit and track functionality, and distribute what you are promoting databases with Oracle Net.
- Plan and installation everlasting, transitority, and bigfile tablespaces
- Optimize disk allocation, CPU utilization, I/O throughput, and SQL queries
- Develop robust database administration applications
- Guard opposed to human mistakes utilizing Oracle Flashback and Oracle computerized Undo Management
- Diagnose and track procedure functionality utilizing Oracle computerized Workload Repository and SQL Tuning Sets
- Implement powerful safeguard utilizing authentication, authorization, fine-grained auditing, and fine-grained entry control
- Maintain excessive availability utilizing Oracle actual software Clusters and Oracle energetic info Guard
- Respond extra successfully to failure situations by way of leveraging the Oracle automated Diagnostic Repository and the Oracle fix Advisor
- Back up and fix tables, tablespaces, and databases with Oracle restoration supervisor and Oracle info Pump Export and Import
- Work with networked databases, info warehouses, and VLDBs
- Put the newest Oracle Database 11g tools to work--Oracle overall keep in mind, Oracle Flashback facts Archive, and more
Read or Download Oracle Database 11g DBA Handbook PDF
Similar oracle books
It is a very good ebook, transparent and well-written. it is easy sufficient for these with out a lot adventure, but additionally presents adequate aspect should you don't want coddling. .. certainly, well worth the $.
At the present time DBAs are anticipated to set up and deal with huge databases with caliber carrier and little to no downtime. The DBA’s major concentration is on expanding productiveness and taking out idle redundancy during the company. even though, there is not any magic set of top practices or difficult and speedy principles that DBAs have to stick with, and this may make existence tricky.
It’s occasionally acknowledged that the real activity of an Oracle database administrator will be summed up in a single, crucial ability: in order to get better your database.
There’s a lot knowledge in that assertion. Of every little thing you're answerable for as a database administrator, not anything is extra vital than the information itself. love it or now not, the fearsome accountability of defending your enterprises most important information falls squarely upon your shoulders:
- Lose that information and your organization may possibly fail.
- Lose that information and also you may be out of a job.
Scared? try to be. yet theres support. you're not on my own. Oracle specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda have come jointly during this ebook to teach you the ability of restoration supervisor, or RMAN, that's Oracles backup and restoration instrument of selection. RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g is helping you're taking benefit of all that RMAN has to supply by means of delivering easy-to-understand options to business-critical backup and restoration operations. this convenient guide
- Demystifies the stairs required to guard your corporation data
- offers ready-made and step by step ideas to easy and intricate backup, fix, and restoration operations
- Is task-oriented, making it effortless so you might uncover the answer to urgent backup and restoration problems
- Respects it slow by way of supplying example-based strategies, now not never-ending analyzing material
When the pressure’s on, you dont have time for lengthy discussions of idea. This publication will get correct to the purpose with speedy and easy-to-read, step by step recommendations that could assist you backup and get well your information with confidence.
What you’ll learn
Oracle Database specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda express you ways to
- Reliably again up and get better your database utilizing Oracles restoration Manager.
- make the most of New Oracle Database 11g beneficial properties akin to the knowledge restoration Advisor.
- enable Oracle Database deal with your backup documents through the Flash restoration Area.
- Automate backup and restoration projects through writing scripts.
- Troubleshoot RMAN difficulties and optimize RMAN performance.
- Interface with a Media administration Layer to regulate your backup tape library.
- get over the lack of a keep an eye on dossier, lack of an internet redo log, and different (hopefully! ) strange situations.
Who is that this e-book for?
Oracle database directors chargeable for database backup and restoration operations.
Maximize Oracle Exadata features Leverage all the robust positive factors on hand within the Oracle Exadata Database desktop utilizing the confirmed ideas within this Oracle Press consultant. Written by way of Oracle specialists, reaching severe functionality with Oracle Exadata exhibits you the way to take complete good thing about this entire, optimized package deal of software program, servers, and garage.
- Understanding Oracle APEX 5 Application Development
- Oracle 11g for Dummies
- Oracle WebCenter 11g Handbook: Build Rich, Customizable Enterprise 2.0 Applications (Oracle Press)
- OCP Oracle Database 11g New Features for Administrators Exam Guide
Additional resources for Oracle Database 11g DBA Handbook
The command create database link creates the path to a remote database, which in turn allows access to objects in the remote database. A database link wraps together the name of the remote database, a method for connecting to the remote database, and a username/password combination to authenticate the connection to the remote database. In some ways, a database link is similar to a database synonym: A database link can be public or private, and it provides a convenient shorthand way to access another set of resources.
Function-Based Indexes A function-based index is similar to a standard B-tree index, except that a transformation of a column or columns, declared as an expression, is stored in the index instead of the columns themselves. Function-based indexes are useful in cases where names and addresses might be stored in the database as mixed case. A regular index on a column containing the value ‘SmiTh’ would not return any values if the search criterion was ‘Smith’. On the other hand, if the index stored the last Chapter 1: Getting Started with the Oracle Architecture 19 names in all uppercase, all searches on last names could use uppercase.
The queries looking for a particular last name will most likely take less time if a full table scan is performed instead of using an index. In this case, a traditional B-treenon-unique index makes more sense. A variation of bitmap indexes called bitmap join indexes creates a bitmap index on a table column that is frequently joined with one or more other tables on the same column. This provides tremendous benefits in a data warehouse environment where a bitmap join index is created on a fact table and one or more dimension tables, essentially pre-joining those tables and saving CPU and I/O resources when an actual join is performed.