By Thomas Kyte
Read Online or Download Expert Oracle Database Architecture: Oracle Database 9i, 10g, and 11g Programming Techniques and Solutions, Second Edition PDF
Best oracle books
This can be a amazing publication, transparent and well-written. it really is easy sufficient for these with out a lot event, but in addition presents adequate aspect in the event you don't want coddling. .. certainly, well worth the $.
At the present time DBAs are anticipated to install and deal with huge databases with caliber carrier and little to no downtime. The DBA’s major concentration is on expanding productiveness and disposing of idle redundancy during the firm. despite the fact that, there isn't any magic set of most sensible practices or tough and speedy ideas that DBAs have to persist with, and this may make existence tough.
It’s occasionally stated that the genuine task of an Oracle database administrator may be summed up in a single, crucial ability: for you to get well your database.
There’s a lot knowledge in that assertion. Of everything you're accountable for as a database administrator, not anything is extra vital than the knowledge itself. love it or no longer, the fearsome accountability of shielding your businesses most crucial facts falls squarely upon your shoulders:
- Lose that facts and your organization may perhaps fail.
- Lose that facts and also you will be out of a job.
Scared? you have to be. yet theres support. you're not on my own. Oracle specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda have come jointly during this publication to teach you the facility of restoration supervisor, or RMAN, that is Oracles backup and restoration software of selection. RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g is helping you're taking benefit of all that RMAN has to provide via offering easy-to-understand options to business-critical backup and restoration operations. this useful guide
- Demystifies the stairs required to guard what you are promoting data
- offers ready-made and step by step strategies to easy and complicated backup, restoration, and restoration operations
- Is task-oriented, making it effortless so that you can uncover the answer to urgent backup and restoration problems
- Respects some time by means of supplying example-based options, no longer never-ending examining material
When the pressure’s on, you dont have time for lengthy discussions of thought. This publication will get correct to the purpose with speedy and easy-to-read, step by step strategies that may assist you backup and get well your information with confidence.
What you’ll learn
Oracle Database specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda convey you ways to
- Reliably again up and get well your database utilizing Oracles restoration Manager.
- make the most of New Oracle Database 11g gains reminiscent of the information restoration Advisor.
- allow Oracle Database deal with your backup records through the Flash restoration Area.
- Automate backup and restoration initiatives through writing scripts.
- Troubleshoot RMAN difficulties and optimize RMAN performance.
- Interface with a Media administration Layer to regulate your backup tape library.
- get over the lack of a regulate dossier, lack of a web redo log, and different (hopefully! ) strange situations.
Who is that this ebook for?
Oracle database directors answerable for database backup and restoration operations.
Maximize Oracle Exadata services Leverage all the strong beneficial properties to be had within the Oracle Exadata Database computer utilizing the confirmed concepts within this Oracle Press consultant. Written by means of Oracle specialists, reaching severe functionality with Oracle Exadata indicates you ways to take complete benefit of this entire, optimized package deal of software program, servers, and garage.
- Beginning Oracle Database 12c Administration: From Novice to Professional
- Ocp: Oracle8i DBA SQL & PL/SQL Study Guide (OCP study guide)
- Expert Oracle Database 11g Administration (Expert's Voice in Oracle)
- Beginning Oracle SQL for Oracle Database 12c, Edition: 3 edition
- Oracle SQL Recipes
- Oracle Application Integration Architecture (AIA) Foundation Pack 11gR1: Essentials
Extra info for Expert Oracle Database Architecture: Oracle Database 9i, 10g, and 11g Programming Techniques and Solutions, Second Edition
Use a Single Connection in Oracle Now, in SQL Server it is a very common practice to open a connection to the database for each concurrent statement you want to execute. If you are going to do five queries, you might well see five connections in SQL Server. In Oracle, on the other hand, if you want to do five queries or five hundred, the maximum number of connections you want to open is one. So, a practice that is common in SQL Server is something that is not only not encouraged in Oracle, it is actively discouraged; having multiple connections to the database is just something you don’t want to do.
However, I can write bad code that does not scale in Oracle as easily—if not more easily—as I can write good, scalable code in Oracle. You can replace Oracle with any piece of software and the same is true. This is a fact: it is easier to write applications that perform poorly than it is to write applications that perform well. It is sometimes too easy to build a single-user system in the world’s most scalable database if you don’t know what you are doing. The database is a tool and the improper use of any tool can lead to disaster.
You’ll find no other language so tightly coupled with SQL, nor any as optimized to interact with SQL. Working with SQL in PL/SQL is a very natural thing—whereas in virtually every other language from Visual Basic to Java, using SQL can feel cumbersome. It never quite feels “natural”— it’s not an extension of the language itself. When PL/SQL runs out of steam—which is exceedingly rare today with current database releases—we’ll use Java. Occasionally, we’ll do something in C, but typically only when C is the only choice, or when the raw speed offered by C is required.