By David Egan, Paul Zikopoulos, Jamieson Becker, Chris Rogers
To be able to raise its marketshare and chance to home windows NT, Oracle8 used to be ported to Linux in past due 1998, commencing the preferred database to an extra 10 million Linux clients around the world. the supply of Oracle8 allows present Linux clients to install enterprise-class purposes at low in cost and gives a substitute for Microsoft home windows NT. This booklet covers that marriage of the preferred database and the quickest growing to be working system.
* entire insurance. Covers either Oracle8i and Oracle8i Lite, in addition to Oracle functions, Oracle purposes Server, and Oracle Developer
* businesses and Oracle database directors might be trying to find info on Linux as is will get followed - this ebook suits the bill
* Covers progress markets and fills a necessity for info now not lined elsewhere
Read or Download DBAs Guide to Databases Under Linux PDF
Best oracle books
It is a fantastic publication, transparent and well-written. it is basic adequate for these with out a lot event, but additionally presents sufficient element if you don't want coddling. .. certainly, well worth the $.
This present day DBAs are anticipated to installation and deal with huge databases with caliber provider and little to no downtime. The DBA’s major concentration is on expanding productiveness and disposing of idle redundancy through the company. in spite of the fact that, there's no magic set of top practices or not easy and quick principles that DBAs have to stick to, and this may make existence tricky.
It’s occasionally stated that the real task of an Oracle database administrator might be summed up in a single, crucial ability: with the intention to recuperate your database.
There’s a lot knowledge in that assertion. Of the whole lot you're answerable for as a database administrator, not anything is extra very important than the knowledge itself. love it or now not, the fearsome accountability of shielding your organisations most crucial facts falls squarely upon your shoulders:
- Lose that information and your organization may possibly fail.
- Lose that info and also you will be out of a job.
Scared? try to be. yet theres aid. you're not by myself. Oracle specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda have come jointly during this booklet to teach you the facility of restoration supervisor, or RMAN, that is Oracles backup and restoration device of selection. RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g is helping you're taking benefit of all that RMAN has to provide via offering easy-to-understand recommendations to business-critical backup and restoration operations. this convenient guide
- Demystifies the stairs required to guard your corporation data
- offers ready-made and step by step suggestions to easy and intricate backup, fix, and restoration operations
- Is task-oriented, making it effortless so that you can find the answer to urgent backup and restoration problems
- Respects it slow by means of delivering example-based suggestions, no longer never-ending analyzing material
When the pressure’s on, you dont have time for lengthy discussions of conception. This ebook will get correct to the purpose with speedy and easy-to-read, step by step strategies that may assist you backup and get well your info with confidence.
What you’ll learn
Oracle Database specialists Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda express you the way to
- Reliably again up and recuperate your database utilizing Oracles restoration Manager.
- make the most of New Oracle Database 11g positive aspects similar to the knowledge restoration Advisor.
- enable Oracle Database deal with your backup documents through the Flash restoration Area.
- Automate backup and restoration projects by way of writing scripts.
- Troubleshoot RMAN difficulties and optimize RMAN performance.
- Interface with a Media administration Layer to control your backup tape library.
- get over the lack of a regulate dossier, lack of an internet redo log, and different (hopefully! ) strange situations.
Who is that this booklet for?
Oracle database directors accountable for database backup and restoration operations.
Maximize Oracle Exadata features Leverage all the robust good points to be had within the Oracle Exadata Database laptop utilizing the confirmed ideas inside of this Oracle Press consultant. Written via Oracle specialists, attaining severe functionality with Oracle Exadata exhibits you ways to take complete benefit of this entire, optimized package deal of software program, servers, and garage.
- Oracle8i: The Complete Reference (Book/CD-ROM Package)
- Oracle 12c: SQL
- Portable DBA: Oracle
- OCP Oracle9i Database: New Features for Administrators Exam Guide
- PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA (Oaktable Press)
- Beginning PHP and Oracle From Novice to Professional
Additional resources for DBAs Guide to Databases Under Linux
Size of Partitio n The second parameter to decide on is the size . You should enter the approximate value you want the partition to be in megabytes . Note that the actual size will depend on physical drive characteristics (sizes ar e rounded to the nearest disk cylinder) and and may vary by a fe w megabytes from the sizes you specified . " This option will allow this partition to use all available remaining disk space or share equally with any other partitions on the same physical disk, all the remaining disk space .
UNIX dominates the high-end market for production servers and high end graphics workstations because it has the reliability an d resilience to keep going . Security . Another reason for the strength of Linux and Unix o n the Internet is their mature and robust security model . The kernel is well protected from direct access by any user, and the fil e system is designed to be secure and has been proven secure fo r years on the Internet . Most security breaches are not from weaknesses that the average or even above average user would b e able to exploit in any operating system—it comes from poo r security practices of the users .
Do not choose any DOS partitions ; they are not optimized for database files in any way. Hard Drive Selectio n The hard drive option is an issue only if you have more than one physica l drive to choose from . If your system has a single IDE drive available, i t will be called hda (hard disk a) . This would be the name for the first har d drive on the IDE type first controller . The next drive would be hdb on th e same IDE controller. On the second IDE controller, the first drive would be hdc and the second would be hdd .